Re: Help - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Help
Date
List pgsql-sql
From: "Mohamed ebrahim" <mohdebrahim@yahoo.com>

> Hi,
>
>     I am a user postgresql. I want to update a table
> automatically when we reach monthend. i.e i want to
> update some table on 31 of every month automatically
> without any user attention. I want to know how to do
> this. If anyone knows how to do this please mail me. i
> will be ever thankfull to him

I'm presuming that you are on some kind of unix-like system. If so, check
the "cron" system (man cron, man crontab) - use this to run a script at a
set time each month - the script can then update your database.

This can be as simple as placing a script into /etc/cron.monthly/ on some
systems (e.g. Linux Redhat) but in any case is not too complicated.

PS - it is usually easier to do this early on the first day of each month
(every month has a day 1, not all have a day 31).

- Richard Huxton