Re: Pre-processing during build - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Markus KARG
Subject Re: Pre-processing during build
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

Scott, I simply cannot see what this information has to do with the current thread? Can you please elaborate? Thanks.

-Markus

From: pgsql-jdbc-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-jdbc-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Scott Morgan
Sent: Dienstag, 16. Juni 2015 15:12
To: Mark Rotteveel; pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [JDBC] Pre-processing during build

Hi All,

   I just thought I should mention that I have been writing some tools that will eventually compete with ant-junit and maven-junit builds.   The main reason is to add concurrency everywhere, along with other things like integrated code coverage in tests;

  It will be a while before this is well documented and a plausible replacement (and Fabricate will only work with Git for several years), but it may be worth the wait.   The time cost of converting a build and test API is usually quite immense.

Cheers,

Scott

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 2:08 AM, Mark Rotteveel <mark@lawinegevaar.nl> wrote:

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 18:42:13 -0400, Sehrope Sarkuni <sehrope@jackdb.com>
wrote:
> I think a purely Maven based build with separate targets should be
possible
> via a generated-sources plugin. Off the top of my head I'm not sure
which
> plugins it would use though. It's been a while since I wrote anything
like
> that though I do remember it being a bit of a pain to get right. On the
> plus side we only have to figure it out once right? :)

My experience is that Ant gives you a lot more flexibility. For Jaybird I
considered moving to a Maven based build, but I finally decided against it
because it was too much hassle. The difference with the PostgreSQL JDBC is
that Jaybird uses JDBC version specific sources-folders with common classes
(and abstract classes for common implementation).

> I'm a big fan of Mavenizing the build process. A lot of the value of it
> will come from how it will simplify things like adding tests. It
eliminates
> a lot of the double and sometimes triple entry (i.e. add the test class,
> add it to a suite, add the suite to build.xml).

You don't need Maven to achieve that. For one you don't need testsuites,
with JUnit 3 it is a bit harder, but you could use a consistent naming
convention and filter tests in the Ant plugin, with JUnit 4 you could use
(class or instance) rules, or filtering based on annotations.

Mark