Re: Takes too long to fetch the data from database - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dave Dutcher
Subject Re: Takes too long to fetch the data from database
Date
List pgsql-performance

I’ve never used a cursor in Postgres, but I don’t think it will help you a lot.  In theory cursors make it easier to do paging, but your main problem is that getting the first page is slow.  A cursor isn’t going to be any faster at getting the first page than OFFSET/LIMIT is.

Did you try Bruno’s suggestion of:

SELECT * FROM wan ORDER BY stime DESC OFFSET 0 LIMIT 50;

You should run an EXPLAIN ANALYZE on that query to see if it is using an index scan.  Also what version of Postgres are you using?  You can run select version(); to check.