Re: front ends for postgres under linux - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: front ends for postgres under linux
Date
List pgsql-general
From: "Penguin" <Mail@dempos.com>

> The main problems while choosing the front-ends we encounter is the data
> entry part of Master-Detail transactions such as Invoice Entry / Voucher
> Entry where there might be variable amount of entries. We thought of
> developing under PHP4. But the problem which I have mentioned seems to
> remain if we use PHP4.
>
> I wanted to know what the listers are using as front-ends on Linux
> platform. Is using PHP4 good enough for developing financial accounting
> & inventory applications.

PHP is fine for building web interfaces, but the web isn't ideal for this.
If you want to do data-entry, consider an interactive interface (if you
really want the web use java applets/activex or com or .net or whatever MS
is calling OLE at the moment).

I found myself looking at a terminal-based interface for something the other
day. Plenty of libraries available and no shortage of free ssh/telnet
clients. Data-entry people I've worked with in the past seem to prefer
text+keyboard interfaces after a week or so - half as many keystrokes/clicks
vs windowed interfaces (in my experience).

I'd consider both interfaces - PHP will be great for selecting reports /
viewing statistics etc. Provide a terminal-based solution as well and let
the end-users gravitate to the interface they need per task.

- Richard Huxton