Re: pqReadData() - backend unexpectedly closed the channel - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Arnold
Subject Re: pqReadData() - backend unexpectedly closed the channel
Date
List pgsql-general
I can make this happen consistently with Perl DBI by placing a
$dbh->disconnect() in the DESTROY subroutine of an object.  I doubt the two
issues have much in common, but there's my $.02.  You might post to the list
(not me, I'm ignorant) how you managed to make this happen.

--rob

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Price" <Scott.Price@sci.com>
To: <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>; "<Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 7:56 PM
Subject: pqReadData() - backend unexpectedly closed the channel

To:  Tom Lane, and Postgresql.org staff,

This is a message in response to the one sent by Frank Miles on Tue 7 Nov
2000 11:11:29 -0800 (PST).

I have been experiencing the same problem as the gentleman, Frank Miles,
when running Postgre SQL.  I have been repeatedly getting "pqReadData -
backend closed the channel unexpectedly.  This probably means that .... the
backend abruptly terminated before or while your request was being
processed" (or something close to those words).  The last response I saw
from postgresql.org to Frank was from a fellow Tom Lane asking to see a core
dump.  Since I experienced this problem I would like to send you a core dump
of my file (which is gzipped), core.gz, and if you all could give me any
explanations or recommendations, I'd appreciate it.

Postgre SQL Version 6.5.3 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc
egcs-2.91.66.

My email:  scott.price@sci.com

Thanks,

Scott M. Price