Re: Input/Output Error Message - Mailing list pgsql-general

From terry@greatgulfhomes.com
Subject Re: Input/Output Error Message
Date
List pgsql-general
I have seen this in 7.1 occasionally, have been unable to consistently reproduce it though.

Stopping and Starting the postmaster makes it go away...

Terry Fielder
Network Engineer
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry@greatgulfhomes.com

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org]On Behalf Of Brian Chu
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 8:17 AM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] Input/Output Error Message

Hello,

        I had a question regarding an error message that I'm seeing during my testing using Postgres version 7.2. I'm not sure if this is related to Postgres or a disk I/O related problem. Any help or tips to pinpointing the problem would also help. Thanks in advance.

The error is as follows:

        [ERROR:  cannot read    block 6093 of <table_name>: Input/output error]

Note: I purposely left out the table name in question. Anyways, a few additional points:

        - there is a cron type script (i.e. runs at defined time intervals - one hour) which reads data from the postgres database

        - from the 'debug logs', this message was "sporadically" generated. What I mean by that is there no pattern (in terms of time)          when this error message occurs. In this particular case, the message only appeared on Sunday, June 16th and at varying                  times during the day

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Brian Chu - S/W Verification Prime
JetNet Internetworking Services Inc.
333 Preston Street (Xerox Building)
3rd Floor, Suite 300