Re: summing tables - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Viorel Dragomir
Subject Re: summing tables
Date
List pgsql-sql
Ok. I disregarded the complexity of this problem. :)
You may wish to do this thing from a programming language with every row at
a time [in php, asp...].

Anyway here is a function in plpgsql.
It solves your problem, i hope; but i don't recommend it.

create function update_nulls() returns int
as '
declarevar1  integer;var2  integer;
begin   select into var1 count(*) from tab where c is null;   var2 := var1;   while var1 > 0 loopupdate table_nameset c
=a + b + (select x.c from table_name as x where x.seq =

table_name.seq-1)where c is null;
var1 := var1 - 1;   end loop;   return var2;
end; '
language 'plpgsql';