Re: C++ port of Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From dandl
Subject Re: C++ port of Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general

Just wondering what the end goal is for this project... Is it to just maintain an up to date Postgres fork that will compile with a C++ compiler? Is it to get a conversation going for a direction for Postgres itself to move?  The former I don't see gaining much traction or doing all that much for the state of the project. The latter possibly could if the community gets on board.

I would certainly hope the latter. Having done some work on extension functions and an extension language for Postgres, the current situation can be quite limiting.

·         Parts of my code could only be written in C++, so I finished up with a mixed build, which is not ideal.

·         My other issue was dealing with the Datum macros. Type-safe inline C++ functions would help reduce dumb errors.

Not compelling reasons perhaps, but just a vote for a move in that direction, some time.

Regards

David M Bennett FACS

Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org