Re: LIMIT clause optimization - Mailing list pgsql-general

From
Subject Re: LIMIT clause optimization
Date
List pgsql-general
Further, I think if your query has an order by clause then the whole query
is executed, sorted, then all but the limit'd rows are truncated.  Hence
there is no performance improvement.

A very VERY smart database engine could perhaps in some cases use an index
to determine in advance the sort and get the rows in the correct order, and
hence stop when the limit was reached.  But that would be a rare case at
best, and I doubt anyone has gone to the brain damage of implementing such
complexity considering the very limited payback.

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry@greatgulfhomes.com