Max () of an empty table... I need it to return 0 any ideas? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Deva Vejay
Subject Max () of an empty table... I need it to return 0 any ideas?
Date
List pgsql-sql
I was looking thru the postgresql message archive searching for a solution to my problem... which you articulated quit well... if you have max(key) of an empty table, the result set is {   } which when added to anything gives you {    }

do you know how make the result of max(key) of a empty table return 0 we have tried writing our oun c funtion :

int
newmax (int arg,int arg2) {
  if (arg2==0)
  {
        return (arg2);
  }
  else
  {
        return(arg);
  }
}

we call it :

select newmax(max({key}), Count({key})) which returns us {     }
if we call it w/   select newmax(3,0))  returns 0
if we call it w/   select newmax(12,4))  returns 4

it does not work on an empty table :(

please help...

-Deva Vejay