7.1 initdb error - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From mike
Subject 7.1 initdb error
Date
List pgsql-admin
I'm getting a peculiar error when I try to run the initdb program so I can start using postgres.

things proced as usual then I get an error while initdb is creatting template1.
 ERROR: Error: unknowen type 'ame'

initdb then continues on its merry little way on creating global relations and just as it looks as its going to finish up it gives the following

DEBUG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in process...
ERROR: Error cannot open pg_log: no such file or directory

any advice would be great

Mike