Re: Scalability - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gordan Bobic
Subject Re: Scalability
Date
List pgsql-general
(Frequent Access)
If you just have lots of queries in parallel, try replication, and
pick a random server for each connection.

(Complex Queries)
If you absolutely, positively need one query to be executed across all
nodes in the cluster because one machine would just take too long no
matter how big, then you may have to shell out for Oracle...

(Splitting the Data)
Alternatively, you could put separate tables on separate machines, or
wait until the "schema" gets advanced enough to let you do full
cross-database SQL queries... No idea how far off this is in
PostgreSQL...

Personally, I find that CPU is rarely the bottleneck. It is usually
either lack of memory or the speed of the disks...