alter help needed - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Frank Morton
Subject alter help needed
Date
List pgsql-sql
As an example, given a table with 2 columns, if I want to add
a new column "between" the already existing columns, is there
any way to use "alter table" to do this?

The only way I can figure out how to do this and preserve the
data is to dump the database and write a script to modify
the dump by modifying the table structure plus the insert
statements reflecting the change. This seems more painful
and I must be missing an easier way to do this.

I am trying to come up with an automated way to deal with
multiple revisions of a database structure.

Any help? Thanks.

Frank Morton (fmorton@mail.base2inc.com)
Voice: (317) 876-3355
FAX: (317) 876-3398