Re: Data transfer format between UNIX server and Windows client? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Data transfer format between UNIX server and Windows client?
Date
List pgsql-general
From: "Paul A. Lender" <lender@tc.umn.edu>

> Hi folks
>
> I've got a FreeBSD 4.2 box running PostgreSQL 7.0.3 and Windows clients
> that talk to it via LIBPQ.DLL (Zeos controls, ODBC, pgAccess...).
>
> I have a firewall on the BSD box using ipf, but I have to assume -- at
> least for the sake of argument -- that someone can still monitor data
> coming off the box.

If it goes over the wire, then yes.

> MY QUESTION -- When query results are sent to the client, where does the
> conversion of stored binary data to easily readable text take
> place:  on the server before it leaves for the clients, or at libpq.dll ON
> the clients?

AFAIK if you query for text, you get plain text on the wire. In any case, if
you're actually worried about security you'll want real encryption.

> If the transfer between boxes is text, does anyone have experience using
an
> encrypted connection between a Unix box and a Windows client (without
using
> a web server, that is)?

There is an option to use SSL links with Postgresql, but that's about all I
know. I have no idea whether you can get that to work on the Windows end.

The other option would be to port-foward your connection using ssh. There
are several implementations available for unix-like systems (try
www.openssh.org) and on the PCs TeraTerm + a module and Putty (try a google
search).

HTH

- Richard Huxton