Re: Postgres 7.0.2-2 on Red Hat 7.0? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Wolfe
Subject Re: Postgres 7.0.2-2 on Red Hat 7.0?
Date
List pgsql-general
> >  OK, here's a situation.  One of the programmers at your company runs
the
> >disk out of space.  You're going to go bonk him on the head, but first,
> >there are more pressing matters.  PostgreSQL 6.5 has horked up the
tables,
> >and needs to be fixed.  7.0 is released, which has a fix for the problem.
>
> Let's be real here. If your system is out of disk space, you can't do a
dump
> to put it into 7.0. You're definitely gonna need 6.5 to work at this
> point...

  I know.  And I was being real.  That is the situation that happend at my
company, and it also came up from at least one other person on the list.
Yes, I needed 6.5 to get the data out.  However, you *couldn't* dump the
data, PSQL had horked the tables up too badly.  I ended up writing a Perl
script to get things from the tables, and put them into a flat file of SQL
statements.  It was ugly, but the clock was ticking.   ; )

  (nothing like a junior programmer doing a recursive grep of a large file
system, and redirecting the results to a file *in* the filesystem he's
grepping)

> Your problems aren't with RPM's, your problems the FHS. Distrib packages
> (RPM *or* DEB) will put stuff in FHS compliant locations, packages by
anyone
> else will put files where they want. If you feel that's incorrect,
> Irespectfully suggest you hit up the LSB/FHS people if you want that to
> change, NOT Red Hat, PostGreSQL, or anyone else.

     I think you're missing the subtlety of my point, but that's fine.
You're correct that this isn't the list, I'm going to drop the topic.

steve