Re: PostgreSQL future ideas - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gevik Babakhani
Subject Re: PostgreSQL future ideas
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I don't think so.  Firebird rewrote their entire kernel to be
> C++ and in doing so, lost a lot of maturity along-the-way

I would not make any sense to put/group functions in one or more classes
without using the OO patterns. I guess this is what Firebird has done.

> Similarly switching to another language would require
> a large number of people not only familiar with Postgres
> internals, but also in the new programming language; it
> wouldn't make sense to switch to something like C++ and not
> make full use of the language.

True. It would be an enormous task...

> I don't see how you think it will help.  Most universities
> (here in the US at least), are shying away from teaching
> C/C++.  So, in the long run, I don't see how that would
> really help us get more developer involvement.

Unless I am very off. C++ is a natural choice when porting (upgrading) ANSI
C application.
As far as I know, most universities teach some sort of OO programming
language like JAVA or C# to help students understand OO programming.
I understand that C++ is less popular but JAVA/C# would be the wrong choice
for this.

Regards,
Gevik.