Re: PostgreSQL future ideas - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Re: PostgreSQL future ideas
Date
Re: PostgreSQL future ideas  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Gevik Babakhani <pgdev@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> It might look like an impossible goal to achieve.. But if there is any
> serious plan/idea/ammo for this, I believe it would be very beneficial to
> the continuity of PG.

I don't think so.  Firebird rewrote their entire kernel to be C++ and
in doing so, lost a lot of maturity along-the-way IMHO.  Similarly
switching to another language would require a large number of people
not only familiar with Postgres internals, but also in the new
programming language; it wouldn't make sense to switch to something
like C++ and not make full use of the language.

I don't see how you think it will help.  Most universities (here in
the US at least), are shying away from teaching C/C++.  So, in the
long run, I don't see how that would really help us get more developer
involvement.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Senior DBA
myYearbook.com