Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:10 PM Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2013-03-12 10:46:53 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > Do you mean to say that because some variables can only be set after
> restart
> > can lead to
> > inconsistency, or is it because of asynchronous nature of
> pg_reload_conf()?
>
> As long as SET PERSISTENT cannot be executed inside a transaction - or
> only takes effect after its end - there doesn't seem to be any problem
> executing ProcessConfigFile() directly.

Do you mean to say we call directly ProcessConfigFile() at end of SET
PERSISTENT instead
Of pg_reload_conf() but in that case would it load the variables for other
backends?

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.