Re: ToDo List Item - System Table Index Clustering - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simone Aiken
Subject Re: ToDo List Item - System Table Index Clustering
Date
List pgsql-hackers
-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Haas [mailto:robertmhaas@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 2:53 PM
To: Simone Aiken
Cc: Alvaro Herrera; pgsql-hackers
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] ToDo List Item - System Table Index Clustering

>Sure - my point is just that we usually have as a criteria for any
>performance related patch that it actually does improve performance.

Sorry wasn't arguing your point.   Conceding it actually. =)
I wasn't explaining why I chose it anyway to contest your statements,
but as an invitation for you to point me towards something more useful
that fit what I was looking for in a task.

> Uh... I don't know what this means.

Pages like this one have column comments for the system tables:

http://www.psql.it/manuale/8.3/catalog-pg-attribute.html

But in my database when I look for comments they aren't there:

qcc=> \d+ pg_attribute         Table "pg_catalog.pg_attribute"   Column     |   Type   | Modifiers | Description
notnull  |atttypid      | oid      | not null  |attstattarget | integer  | not null  |attlen        | smallint | not
null |attnum        | smallint | not null  |attndims      | integer  | not null  |attcacheoff   | integer  | not null
|atttypmod    | integer  | not null  |attbyval      | boolean  | not null  |attstorage    | "char"   | not null
|attalign     | "char"   | not null  |attnotnull    | boolean  | not null  |atthasdef     | boolean  | not null
|attisdropped | boolean  | not null  |attislocal    | boolean  | not null  |attinhcount   | integer  | not null  |

So I have to fire up a web browser and start googling to learn
about the columns.  Putting them in pg_description would be
more handy, no?

-Simone Aiken