Re: [NOVICE] sum multiple tables gives wrong answer? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Diener
Subject Re: [NOVICE] sum multiple tables gives wrong answer?
Date
List pgsql-general
I just want to say thanks to all the great responses it is now working like
a charm!!  I knew I was missing some tid bit of DB SQL knowledge.

Thanks again!

Cheers
michael

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Richard Broersma
Sent: Mittwoch, 02. Juni 2010 17:39
To: m.diener@gomogi.com
Cc: pgsql-novice@postgresql.org; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] [NOVICE] sum multiple tables gives wrong answer?

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 7:23 AM, Michael Diener <m.diener@gomogi.com> wrote:

> select  sum(flaeche)/10000 as "greens HA"  from green;

> result:

> Wrong Answer with this query
>
> select
>  sum(green.flaeche)/10000 as "greens HA",
>  sum (fairway.flaeche)/10000 as "fairway HA"
>   from green, fairway;

It isn't easy to see but you are effectively joining green to fairway
using a cross project which product a Cartesian product.

you probably wanted this query:

SELECT (select  sum(flaeche)/10000  from green) AS "greens HA",
             (select  sum(flaeche)/10000  from fairway) AS "fairway HA";

However, from what you've shown.  I would wager that your database is
in need of some normalization.  For example you could put both greens
and fair way into a single table like:

CREATE TABLE Lawns AS
SELECT flaech, "green"::VARCHAR AS lawntype
  FROM green
UNION ALL
SELECT flaech, "fairway"::VARCHAR AS lawntype
  FROM fairway;

Then you'd execute the following query:

SELECT lawntype, sum(flaech)/10000 AS  "HA"
  FROM Lawns
GROUP BY lawntype;

--
Regards,