Re: another idea for changing global configuration settings from SQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: another idea for changing global configuration settings from SQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:35 AM Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> > Have you considered ALTER SYSTEM SET ... ?  We'd talked about that in
> > the context of the other patch, but it seems to fit much more
> naturally
> > with this one.  Or maybe ALTER GLOBAL SET or ALTER ALL SET.
>
> I would paint that one ALTER SYSTEM SET and the file based one ALTER
> CONFIGURATION SET. No new keyword were armed in that proposal.

One more could be to have built-in function

pg_change_config(level,key,value)

level - PG_NEW_CONNECTION     - PG_SYTEM_LEVEL

Level will distinguish how and when the value will be used.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.