Re: refusing connections based on load ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Len Morgan
Subject Re: refusing connections based on load ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>Nathan Myers wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 03:09:53PM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>> >
>> > Anyone thought of implementing this, similar to how sendmail does it?
If
>> > load > n, refuse connections?
>> > If nobody is working on something like this, does anyone but me feel
that
>> > it has merit to make use of?  I'll play with it if so ...
>>
>> I agree that it would be useful.  Even more useful would be soft load
>> shedding, where once some load average level is exceeded the postmaster
>> delays a bit (proportionately) before accepting a connection.
>
>    Or  have  the  load  check  on  AtXactStart,  and  delay  new
>    transactions  until  load  is  back  below  x,  where  x   is
>    configurable  per  user/group  plus some per database scaling
>    factor.

How is this different than limiting the number of backends that can be
running at once?  It would seem to me that a user that has a "delayed"
startup is going to think there's something wrong with the server and keep
trying, where as a message like "too many clients - try again later"
explains what's really going on.

len morgan