Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nicolas Bazin
Subject Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Yes I proposed to use the GNU Pth library instead. It's an event
demultiplexer just like the sgi library, but has a posix thread interface.
This architecture is actually the more robust and also the more scalable. On
a single processor server, you don't have the multi-thread synchronization
and context switching overhead and you also take full advantage of
multi-processor servers when you create several processes. Plus you have
much less concern about global variables.

Also for those concerned about the licence of this library here is an
abstract of it:
"The author places this library under the LGPL to make sure that it
can be used both commercially and non-commercially provided that
modifications to the code base are always donated back to the official
code base under the same license conditions. Please keep in mind that
especially using this library in code not staying under the GPL or
the LGPL _is_ allowed and that any taint or license creap into code
that uses the library is not the authors intention. It is just the
case that _including_ this library into the source tree of other
applications is a little bit more inconvinient because of the LGPL.
But it has to be this way for good reasons. And keep in mind that
inconvinient doesn't mean not allowed or even impossible."

So it can be used in both commercial and non commercial project.