Re: WIP: Collecting statistics on CSV file data - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Etsuro Fujita
Subject Re: WIP: Collecting statistics on CSV file data
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thanks!

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Tom Lane
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2012 4:20 AM
To: Shigeru HANADA
Cc: Etsuro Fujita; pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Collecting statistics on CSV file data

Shigeru HANADA <shigeru.hanada@gmail.com> writes:
> Just after my post, Fujita-san posted another v7 patch[1], so I merged
> v7 patches into v8 patch.

I've committed a modified version of this, but right after pushing it I had
a better idea about what the AnalyzeForeignTable API should do.
An issue that I'd not previously figured out is how analysis of an
inheritance tree could deal with foreign-table members, because it wants to
estimate the members' sizes before collecting the actual sample rows.
However, given that we've got the work split into a precheck phase and a
sample collection phase, that's not hard to solve: we could insist that the
FDW give back a size estimate in the precheck phase not the sample
collection phase.  I'm off to fix that up ...