Re: Huge Data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matthew Lunnon
Subject Re: Huge Data
Date
List pgsql-general
Have you run 'vacuum analyze log;'? Also I believe that in Oracle count(1) used to be quicker than count(*).
Matthew
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 12:39 PM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Huge Data

Richard Huxton wrote:

>PG uses MVCC to manage concurrency. A downside of this is that to verify the
>exact number of rows in a table you have to visit them all.
>
>There's plenty on this in the archives, and probably the FAQ too.
>
>What are you using the count() for?

select logid, agentid, logbody from log where logid=3000000;

this query also returns after about 120 seconds. The table log has about
7 million records, and logid is the primary key of log table. What about
that? Why is it too slow?

-sezai

      joining column's datatypes do not match

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by MCI's Internet Managed Scanning Services - powered by MessageLabs. For further information visit http://www.mci.com