Re: int8 vs text in odbc link - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Len Morgan
Subject Re: int8 vs text in odbc link
Date
List pgsql-general
>Hi all!
>
>I'm accessing PostgreSQL 7.0.2 from MS Access 97 via
>the ODBC driver.  I can successfully link and query
>tables.  Unfortunately, all of the columns of the data
>type int8 are interpreted as text in MS Access 97 when
>you look at the design view of the table. Dates and
>float8 seem to be ok.
>
>1.  Has anyone else encountered this?
>2.  Does anyone know of a solution?

In a similar vein....Does anyone know how to make MSAccess export a table to
Postgresql with fixed char length fields?  I always get VARCHARs and for
some reason I can't do a join between a table that has a varchar and fixed
char.  The system runs until it eventually runs out of memory.  This means
that I have to export the table as is to Postgres, do a pg_dump on the
table, modify the CREATE TABLE definition to be CHAR(9), drop the table,
then re-import it with psql.  If I could get MSAccess to put out a fixed
length field (which is how I've defined the table) I could avoid all of
this.

Len Morgan