Re: Full text indexing preformance! (long) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mitch Vincent
Subject Re: Full text indexing preformance! (long)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Well, of course the whole *point* of LIMIT is that it stops short of
> > scanning the whole query result.  So I'm afraid you're kind of stuck
> > as far as the performance goes: you can't get a count() answer without
> > scanning the whole query.

Right, that's what I thought.

> > I'm a little curious though: what is the typical count() result from
> > your queries?  The EXPLAIN outputs you show indicate that the planner
> > is only expecting about one row out now, but I have no idea how close
> > that is to the mark.  If it were really right, then there'd be no
> > difference in the performance of LIMIT and full queries, so I guess
> > it's not right; but how far off is it?

Well, count does always return 1 row, though what's in that one row is as
varying as 0 to the number of records in the applicants database (about
11,000)..

Anyway, I thank you and appreciate your input..

-Mitch