Re: The bugs are getting harder to find... - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Donald Fraser
Subject Re: The bugs are getting harder to find...
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hi Dave,
that fixed one problem and created a minor one when you don't have any parameters - you get a single quote mark ('). Minor minor bug and I can live with that.

I am using the software every day now and I envisage I will continue to do so for the next month. Hence I am really happy that it's pretty stable now.

I have discovered one major bug - a crash (memory could not be read error) when executing a SQL query on a view. Unfortunately it's not easy to reproduce for you without sending you a lot of table information, views, rules, PL/SQL functions, trigger functions etc. The basic query is very simple - an INSERT INTO view statement. The view obviously has rules on it and it inserts data into more than one table. I'm guessing that may be the return result of the query is something that the MDAC driver is not expecting for an INSERT INTO query and therefore crashes!
Data is actually entering the database, therefore the query is arriving at the server, executing and completing. Hence why I think it is the return result that is causing the crash. When I run the query from psql on the server I get the following returned.
insert_persnl_user
(0 rows)
So I am getting a column returned from the last function (insert_persnl_user) that is run, which is weird as this is not the last statement - a normal INSERT INTO is the last statement to be run in one of the rules.

Anyway don't worry about it as I can ssh into the server and issue SQL commands with psql to test stuff when the above is going to cause a problem.

I might have another look at it and see if I can reproduce it without a complex database behind the scene.

Regards
Donald.