Re: JDBC error codes to detect duplicates? - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From David Wall
Subject Re: JDBC error codes to detect duplicates?
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
> >AFAIK clean implementation of such feature is not possible because
backend
> >protocol does not have error codes (only error messages)
>
> Thats correct. It's also not practical to get the driver to translate
> because the format of the messages can change between releases as well.

Practically speaking, how often do the messages really change between
releases?  It seems that we could create a pluggable translator that would
work based on the release version.  If the messages change too frequently,
then something's seriously wrong with Postgresql server since the main
sql-portion of the system has been in place and there aren't too many things
a program really needs to detect about a database (missing row, duplicate
key, constraint violation, transaction error, deadlock detected, etc.).

David