Storage Inefficiency In PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ray Cheung
Subject Storage Inefficiency In PostgreSQL
Date
Re: Storage Inefficiency In PostgreSQL  (Kevin Wilkinson <w.kevin.wilkinson@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi ,

We are currently contemplating switching from MySQL to PostgreSQL, the main
attraction being the use of the TimescaleDB extension. Having done much of
the ground investigation there is one area of significant concern - the
storage requirement of PostgreSQL. Put simply, comparing like for like for a
set of tables, PostgreSQL consumes far more storage space than MySQL:

- MySQL (5.6): 156 MB
- PostgreSQL (11.2): 246 MB
- PostgreSQL + TimescaleDB (partitioned/chunked data): 324 MB

I've also submitted this in stackoverflow:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/55655272/how-to-reduce-postgresql-databa
se-size.

I can rearrange the table/column-alignment to save 6 bytes per row of the
main table, with a saving of a few mega-bytes. Not enough to make any real
difference. Does anyone know:

- Why PostgreSQL is so storage inefficient in comparison?
- What existing methods can be used to reduce the storage consumption (I've
already tried realignment and vacuum full)?
- Are there any plans to address this storage consumption inefficiency (in
comparison to MySQL) problem?

Many thanks,

sps-ray

---