Re: Any risk in increasing BLCKSZ to get larger tuples? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Wolfe
Subject Re: Any risk in increasing BLCKSZ to get larger tuples?
Date
List pgsql-general
> In some cases yes, in some no.  Simple text should compress/decompress
> quickly and the cpu time wasted is made up for by less hardware access
> time and smaller db files.  If you have a huge database the smaller db
> files could be critical.

  Hmm... that doesn't seem quite right to me.  Whether it is compressed or
not, the same amount of final data has to move across the system bus to the
CPU for processing.  It's the difference of (A) moving a large amount of
data to the CPU and processing it, or (B) moving a small amount of data to
the CPU, use the CPU cycles to turn it into the large set (as large as in
(A)), then processing it.  I could be wrong, though.

steve