Partitioning with the index on the master table. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Semyon Reyfman
Subject Partitioning with the index on the master table.
Date
List pgsql-general
I have a list-based partition table and I want to prevent scanning of all
children tables in a JOIN, which is using the partition column.   I know
that CHECK constraints are not used in this case so I hope that creating an
index on the partition column would help.  But I am not sure if I should
create this index on the master table or on each of children tables.  It
seems kind of strange to create an index on a children table where all
values of the partition column are the same.  So will an index on the master
table be sufficient in this case?

Thanks,

Simon