Minor Persistent Bug In pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Frank Morton
Subject Minor Persistent Bug In pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I have posted this in quite a few places in the past without
response, so I'll try it here once. I am not on the list, so please
send any responses to me directly. This is a minor bug that
has continued through the latest release.

This is a small bug in pg_dump that persists.

Say you want to have an text field with the contents
of "\Help\\" (not including the quotes).

If you do the following dialog:

createdb tempdb
psql tempdb
tempdb=>create table "testtable" ( "content" character(32));
tempdb=>insert into "testtable" values ('\\Help\\\\');
tempdb=>select * from testtable;

content
---------------------------------------
\Help\\

Up to this point, everything is cool. But now if you do the following:

pg_dump -d tempdb

You will see that the insert statement it generates is now invalid:

INSERT INTO "testtable" values ('\Help\\            ');

pg_dump needs to convert a single backslash to a double backslash
in order to be able to reload again as input to pgsql.

Am I missing something? Thanks for taking a look at this. I have posted
this to the list a few times without response and you seem to want to
get everything nailed down (Thanks!) so I thought I'd try you. If you want
me to send this somewhere else, please let me know.

Thanks for all you are doing with this great database.