Baffled by "Group By" - Please help! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matt Friedman
Subject Baffled by "Group By" - Please help!
Date
List pgsql-general
For some reason, probably because I'm not understanding very well, I'm
getting some duplicated rows for this query (below).

My understanding is that "group by" brings all the rows together where the
indicated columns are equal and then applies the aggregate to the column
indicated; in this case: "sum".

What am I missing? I'm not seeing why this query doesn't group everything
and then return unique rows.

Please let me know if you need more info and I will send it.

SELECT
 index_uri.uri,
 index_uri.description,
 index_uri.title,
 index_type.type,
 index_type.icon,
 SUM(index.word_count)
FROM
 index, index_word, index_uri, index_type
WHERE
 (
   index_word.word ~'eat.*'             -- could be more or fewer
comparisons here.
   OR index_word.word ~'disord.*'
 )
AND