FW: Strange problem upgrading to 7.0.3x - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Glen Parker
Subject FW: Strange problem upgrading to 7.0.3x
Date
List pgsql-general
woops, I sent this to Rich directly...

>   This is getting more strange all the time. I grabbed the
> 7.0.3-2 rpms and
> tried to install them. Here's what I get:
<snip>

>   There is no /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql, nor any of the files
> in /usr/bin.
> I specifically removed them. Something, somewhere, has a record
> that 6.5.3-1
> is installed, and I don't know where to look for it.
<snip>

The first thing to do is something like
rpm -q -a | grep postgres
to get a list of postgres related packages that RPM thinks is installed.
Based on your error messages, they are there.  If they aren't, forget the
rest :-)  I can't help you (man rpm maybe can), but if they are, then you
need to do an RPM upgrade rather than an install, which you were trying to
do.

The best way to do this is:
cd <wherever your postgres RPM files are>
rpm -U postgresql*-7.0.3-2.i386.rpm
which will try to install all the files matching the glob, and it takes care
of dependencies and ordering within the package files provided.

If you get errors from that about dependencies, I'll bet Lamar will have the
answers :-)

Well now I see another post from you about doing rpm -e...  hmmm, I assume
you must have missed a package or something.  The rpm -q -a thing will show
what you missed, and at this point it may be best to just force an uninstall
of the ones you missed and then retry the install command, as above, but:
rpm -i postgresql*-7.0.3-2.i386.rpm
which will still do all the dependency stuff among the new packages.

Glen