JDBC timestamps with timezones - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From David Wall
Subject JDBC timestamps with timezones
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
In reading about how Timestamps are stored in Postgresql 7.1 (they are
stored in GMT based on the TZ in effect on the server running the backend),
I was wondering how this impacts JDBC.

We want to be able to retrieve timestamps from the database and then show
them to invididual users based on their specified timezone which we know in
advance.  With Java, I can take a Date/Calendar and get the current time
using a specified TimeZone object.  Does the JDBC then know to always
retrieve the timestamp and keep it internally as GMT, too so that all the
time zone stuff will work?

Thanks,
David