Re: Nullability patch take 2 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: Nullability patch take 2
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Checked and applied.  I made one nontrivial change --- for anything on
> which there's a syscache, it's a lot easier (and faster) to use
> SearchSysCacheCopy to get a tuple to update than it is to do a heapscan.
> The syscache will either have the tuple already, or will get it with an
> indexscan --- either way wins over a heapscan when the catalog is at
> all large.

Cool.  Question - are all these little tricks documented somewhere?  I'm
considering improving the source code section of the manual to include
HOWTOs for coding with Postgres - might attract more patches.  I mean, if
I'd been given a list of all these things, with implementation examples,
beforehand it'd make my life a lot easier.

BTW - would you be able to comment on my earlier email regarding hints for
letting the executor handle rangevars from stored procedures???

Chris