Dying PostgreSQL backend - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From otisg
Subject Dying PostgreSQL backend
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hello,

I am having problems keeping PostgreSQL alive in certain situations and I wonder if I can tune some parameters to allow it to handle higher load.

What gets logged in syslog log file are things like this:

May 5 21:52:34 localhost postgres[25012]: [64] NOTICE: TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL is READ COMMITTED
May 5 21:52:34 localhost postgres[25013]: [61-1] NOTICE: Message from PostgreSQL backend:
May 5 21:52:34 localhost postgres[25013]: [61-2] ^IThe Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
May 5 21:52:34 localhost postgres[25013]: [61-3] ^Idied abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
May 5 21:52:34 localhost postgres[25013]: [61-4] ^II have rolled back the current transaction and am
May 5 21:52:34 localhost postgres[25013]: [61-5] ^Igoing to terminate your database system connection and exit.
May 5 21:52:34 localhost postgres[25013]: [61-6] ^IPlease reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.
May 5 21:52:34 localhost postgres[25015]: [61] FATAL 1: The database system is starting up

The DB then restarts.

This happens when I hit the DB with a few simple UPDATE statements a second.
The statements are really simple, changing 3 TIMESTAMP, 2 INT, and one VARCHAR field using just the primary key to match the row to update.
I'm executing about 6-8 of those per second.
The DB I have has less than 10 tables, most of which are completely empty, and just one, the one I'm updating has about 12,000 pretty narrow (< 10 columns) rows.
I have run VACUUM ANALYZE on this DB, but once I start my application, which seems to be able to do about 7000-8000 updates before postgreSQL backend starts dying, I do not run VACUUM ANALYZE.

I have already changed a few postgresql.conf parameters:

shared_buffers = 64
sort_mem = 1024
fsync = false
deadlock_timeout = 5000

The UPDATE statements are the only ones running against this DB (except for a simple, no join, straight forward SELECT that runs ev ery 20 seconds).

What other parameters can I change?
Could the problem be that I'm doing a lot of UPDATEs without running VACUUM?

Thanks,
Otis
Sign up for FREE iVillage newsletters.
From health and pregnancy to shopping and relationships, iVillage
has the scoop on what matters most to you.