Re: Starting ProgreSQL server - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Hari Bhanujan
Subject Re: Starting ProgreSQL server
Date
List pgsql-novice

See if you have used the chmod and chown to make sure that it is running with proper permissions

Chmod 777 (dir where postgresql is loaded)

Regards

Hari

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-novice-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-novice-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Richard Watt
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 10:12 AM
To: pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
Subject: [NOVICE] Starting ProgreSQL server

I've followed the installation instructions for 7.4.3 on Fedora Core 1 Linux on a Pentium II 233 system, and it's installed fine. I've instructed the configure tool to use TCP port 5321 during the installation.

I tried to create a test database with createdb, and this is the message I get:

createdb: could not connect to database template1: could not connect to server: Connection refused

        Is the server running on host <IP address> and accepting
        TCP/IP connections on port 5321?

I've got PGHOSTADDR set to <IP address>, which is the correct address for my Linux machine, and PGPORT set to 5321, and the PostgreSQL server is set to start with the -i switch.

I can't think of anything else that it could be - I had it working before without specifying a port during the configuration phase, but I need the database running to test a customer's application, which is expecting the server to be listening to a specific port.

I haven't found anything else useful in the documentation other than setting PGHOSTADDR and PGPORT in the environment, but can anyone else come up with something I can check?

Thanks in advance,

Richard Watt

MSN Premium gives you PC protection, junk-mail filters, advanced communication tools and great software like MSN Encarta® Premium. Click here for a FREE trial!