Re: Changing DB ownership - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sander Steffann
Subject Re: Changing DB ownership
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

> Why would you want to do that?
>
> Why not do it an easier way and dump the database and restore it into
> your new database?
>
> There's got to be a lot of stuff to consider when doing something as
> radical as renaming a database.

He is not talking about renaming his database, he is talking about changing
the OWNER of the database.

> >UPDATE pg_database SET datdba = 504 WHERE datname='chris';

This is how I change the owner of the database too. It's not that diffucult,
but it would be nice if it could be changed using an ALTER statement.

I have noticed in the past that the dumps produced by pg_dump are difficult to
restore if the datdba you change to has no rights to create databases. I
haven't tested this with recent releases though. I suspect that this has
already been fixed in pg_dump.

Bye,
Sander.