Re: fairly current mysql v postgresql comparison need for - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Arjen van der Meijden
Subject Re: fairly current mysql v postgresql comparison need for
Date
List pgsql-general
> Van: Bruce Momjian [mailto:pgman@candle.pha.pa.us]

> > Is that, for postgresql, the pg_dump tool? In that case,
> mysql has the
> > same. Mysqldump works fine with innodb-tables as well as for myisam
> > tables.
>
> Can the database be active during the backup, read/writes?
> pg_dump can do that, and make a consistent dump.
No it can't, or actually it can... But your backup probably isn't as
consistent as you'd like. So indeed, you probably can't hotbackup a
innodb table for free, you can't even isolate one on disk if you tried.
And indeed, you'll have to pay a certain amount of money,
http://www.innodb.com/hotbackup.html, for a real hotbackup solution.

I managed to forget that it happens like that, in our production-setup
it just isn't very important that the backups are 100% consistent. ;)

The thing that really counts in our setup is raw page-serve-speed and
with our website that is better provided by mysql than postgresql.
Although recent devevelopments (pg 7.3 and 7.4dev) have made sure
postgresql has come much closer to mysql on the
simpel-query-performance. Too bad the query-plans aren't stored in some
overall memory, instead of just for the current connection itself.
Connection pooling isn't something php is very good at.

Best regards,

Arjen van der Meijden