Cannot (re)start PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From otisg
Subject Cannot (re)start PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hello,

A few minutes ago I had to cold reboot my machine (Red Hat 7.2) that was running PostgreSQL 7.2, as it (the machine) was hung (which is another PostgreSQL story that I'll explain separately).

My attempt:
[root@linux2 root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql restart
Stopping postgresql service: [FAILED]
Starting postgresql service: [FAILED]

The only thing I see in /var/log/messages:
May 5 23:19:26 localhost postgresql: Starting postgresql service: failed

I cannot figure out what is causing this problem.
These are logging-related lines from my ~postgres/data/postgresql.conf file:

log_connections = true
syslog = 2 # range 0-2

What else can I do to figure out what is going on?
Because of how I had to reboot the machine it is possible that something got corrupted, but I can't find a way to figure out whether that is the problem, and if it is, how to fix it (I just searched the 7.2.1 docs and this list's archives and couldn't find anything related to corruption and repair).

Is there a way to get a more verbose error message from PostgreSQL that will tell me why I can't start the DB?

Thank you,
Otis
Sign up for FREE iVillage newsletters.
From health and pregnancy to shopping and relationships, iVillage
has the scoop on what matters most to you.