RE: Web site gripes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From tom
Subject RE: Web site gripes
Date
List pgsql-general

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org]On Behalf Of Thalis A.
Kalfigopoulos
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 10:57 AM
To: Vince Vielhaber
Cc: Adam Haberlach; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Web site gripes

> > Hmm.  Maybe they are gripes.  While the Postgres documentation is
> > typically first class, the site seems pretty hard for me to deal
> > with, especially compared to ones like php.net and *ahem* mysql.com.
>
> Gripes, no.  But would you like some cheese with that whine?
>
> > For bonus points, make the "search results" page in the "interactive
> > documentation" return the titles of the pages, not the names of the
> > documents.
>
> On second thought, go buy your own cheese.
>
> Vince.

Hey relax,
    the man was just trying to be helpful by pointing out what would be
discouraging for the newcomer in getting started for Pg. And making one feel
comfortable the first time will probably bring one back again, no matter
whether it is avg Joe or Mr. Born2dba.
    The search mechanism could really use a face-lift. Printing the page names
is not very useful as one cannot really tell (and shouldn't have to
remember) the difference for example between ecpg-develop.html,
ecpg-use.html and ecpg.html. Additionally instead of having the results
POSTed, why not GET them so that when following a link, later one can return
to the search result page without gatting the annoying "Data Missing..."
message.

We are not criticizing here...just suggesting :-)

best regards,
thalis

Ok, outright bitching then ;) ...the site is most definitely not intuitive
to use. Once you've gotten around a bit, yes you know where things are, but
when I first came to the site things where not exactly where you think
they'd be. A bit of reorganization would be most helpful.

We know you stole the cheese.