Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit@connx.com>
> One of the major reasons for reporting servers is that people who do not
> understand the data (or even SQL very well) will often cause great
> problems in ad-hoc query situations.
>
> Those performing the queries typically do not understand the data very
> well.  This is especially true in a database with hundreds or thousands
> of tables.  Usually, they will have a pretty good understanding of a
> small subset of the tables that contain the information that they are
> after, but even that is not always true.

*nod*

This is something to be addressed by policy rather than technology, I
suspect. One large and famous financial institution I worked at had a simple
policy regarding production DBs: all client access was to be through stored
procedures. This was enforced by the DB's own privileges system - only the
SPs were visible, and they could only be installed by the database group.
This also forced the developers to abstract the DB access into a separate
layer, so that when it was productised only that layer needed to be changed
(this is a Good Thing (tm)).

andrew