Re: [GENERAL] scheduling table design - Mailing list pgsql-general

From davidb@vectormath.com
Subject Re: [GENERAL] scheduling table design
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi kaiq,

You asked:
>it is a good idea. but why it is really necessary?

As you guessed, we chose this approach to keep from having to batch extend
the data table.  Batch extending the table would not have worked for this
project for two reasons:
1) The application tracked reservations at expensive restaurants.  Most
reservations were for one to two weeks in advance, but they could be for as
much as a year and a half in advance.  I had not considered the possibility
of dynamically extending the data table.
2) Ordinarily only a small percentage of the available items (tables at the
restaurants) were reserved.  The restaurants liked this because they wanted
to maintain an uncrowded atmosphere.  However, this meant that batch
extending (or even dynamically extending) would create a large percentage of
records that were never used.

I have to decided to add a third reason:
3) Batch extending would not allow overloading of appointments.

David Boerwinkle