Re: pgsql question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: pgsql question
Date
List pgsql-general
From: "Jelle Ouwerkerk" <jelle@openface.ca>

> Hi Mr.Huxton,
>
> A postgresql question for you:
> How do I change ownership of an entire database?

Hmm - can't see any better way than using pg_dump to dump without ownership
and then re-import as the user you want to own everything. See the man page
for details of flags.

> Also, can you point me to documentation (or tips) for duplicating a
> database?

In real-time look at the replication code in the contrib directory of
postgres (7.1 beta only iirc). You will need the source-code distribution.

If you just want to copy the database once - again pg_dump is your friend.
You can choose to dump just the schema or just the data or both.

> I appreciate any help.
>
> btw, I have been listening attentively to the pgsql-general mailing list
> for some time and I think you guys are doing great work. Keep it up.

With open-source "you guys" is anyone who answers a question, submits a
patch to the documentation or shares a solution they've found. There's
always someone who knows less than you, and there's always one more question
to be answered :-)

HTH

- Richard Huxton