Re: How Postgresql Compares For Query And Load Operations - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mitch Vincent
Subject Re: How Postgresql Compares For Query And Load Operations
Date
List pgsql-general
> count() is just a plain int4 counter.  Obviously it could overflow with
> more than 2^31 rows, but we haven't yet had many (any?) complaints about
> that, so I'm not in a big hurry to change it.

I haven't run into it and haven't heard anything from anyone that has but
was curious just the same... I figured that count() was using an integer but
I suppose if someone had the number of rows required to overflow it they'd
be in the overflowing OID situation too and a dysfunctional count() would
probably be the least of their worries...

> OTOH, if we decide it's OK for sum(int4) to work better on machines with
> int8 support than on those without, maybe it'd make sense to change
> count() to use int8 too.

Sure..

> > I wonder how many PG users this would affect..... Any idea?
>
> A fairly small minority, I'm sure; but as usual, there's no way to know
> just how many...

I figured that it would be a tiny number of people.. IMHO we should do it
because as the great Spock once said "The needs of the many outweigh the
needs of the few.."

Thanks!

-Mitch