PG and login - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jarmo Paavilainen
Subject PG and login
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Where does the backend do its user validation?

If I login with "psql -u" how does the backend take care of the username and
password?

Ive tried to find where it happens without success (using a lot of
elog(DEBUG,...)). (we are talking "password" identification, not "ident",
kerberos or "crypt").

Ive located where the pg_shadow compare happens, but If I give a wrong
username it will not even get that far. "pg_pwd" is never created so I
assume its not used. So how in h*** does pg do it? And where? (which
function?, file? mechanism?).

Im trying to make usernames caseless (yes I enforce that people use
ASCII-only (32-127) in usernames, and yes this is not SQL92).
pgsql-general@postgresql.org

// Jarmo