change column data type of a big table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Anibal David Acosta
Subject change column data type of a big table
Date
List pgsql-general

I have a very big table, in fact only this table uses approx. 60% space of disk.

The table is an standalone table (no one inherit from this and this is not inherit from another).

I need to change a int column to bigint.

But aparentely this alter recreate the table, my problem is the space, there are no space enough in disk.

Is possible to change column datatype without recreating the table?

Thanks!