RE: Re: Still wondering about random numbers... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matt Block
Subject RE: Re: Still wondering about random numbers...
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm almost dead certain (although I've been too lazy to actually look,)
that
network activity also fills the entropy pool (on Linux boxen).  I
conjecture
this partly based on my headless "home services" box which acts as
firewall,
web server, game server, pg server, blah, blah, and blah on my LAN.  It
has
never wanted for entropy, and has actually never blocked on reads to
/dev/random
for any (human) appreciable lengths of time.  It drinks from the entropy
pool
for key generation and suchlike frequently and deeply.

This may require netfilter.

  -- Matt